Friday, January 22, 2010

Office Id tags

One of the most used simple gadget now a days is the tag used to hang the office id cards. Some people sport it with full glory. Unfortunately from day 1 I got my ID and was forced to wear it around my neck I hated it.
I can come up with many reasons, foremost being it kind of took away the feeling of freedom - freedom to work creatively, efficiently and so many other things. Second it is really painful for the neck especially in sedentary jobs. Guys tuck the card into the shirt pocket that takes off the nagging feeling at the neck, how about ladies and all that hungamma making work place easier for them. As usual we take the brunt of it. Add to it the weight of access card, life becomes more painful.
Not to mention, I rarely wore the tag, just at the entrance I wear it and then it is either in my bag or my hand. Once I was adviced by HR to wear it, I told her the neck pain I get and hence I carry in my hand. She tried to argue saying that I might forget to take it in my hand but well I was confident I will not, its just habits. For example the more one uses the mobile phone to write down the grocery list, the more one loses the ability to process the information in memory.Experts advice to minimize gadget help and use our own brain's power more to improve brain capacity and retention.
Anyways coming back to our main subject of discussion the office tags. I have thought about it many times, when I wear it and when I see weary people coming out of office in the evening wearing the tags that bring their neck down even more. Always felt, why corporate doesn't see this, why don't they think of a solution to this. Its a small gesture which will go a long way to gain employee trust and satisfaction.
I have some ideas of my own and also researching on a viable alternative to the tags, also keeping in Indian conditions in mind where girls wear salwars and hence clipping tags is not easy. There still has to be a better design, researching on that. But at any cost I refuse to accept that this is the only viable way to maintain ID and security in an organization. My pirsuit to find a better and customised identity card display mechanism continues - something which makes the employee look and feel better than a 'Dog with a Tag' !

No comments: