Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In Exile - Exploring the wonders of nature

At last I am with the first love of my life - enjoying nature in God's own country - Kerala. The initial few days of my stay here were tough with mercury touching record heights in southern India this summer. What struck me is that even the scortching heat was not able to ruin the unmatchable beauty of this land. The trees braved the heat, the birds kept chirping day after day (there are so many species, I am trying to see atleast 3-4 new ones each day). Variety of ants is amazing, some bit me too - ouch. Each fruit attracts a different type of ant. Also not to be forgotten are the innumerable insects at night.

As an exception to most of my blog topics this one is going to be an ongoing endeavour since there is so much to write, I would not be able to cover everything in a single day.Already a week has passed and my camera is busy clicking. I am proud to say that this land is my native place and I come here often. But this is the first time I decided to capture the beauty of the place in a blog. I have been meaning to write since the day my vacation started but the heat was too much for me and my laptop to bear. Yesterday it rained and brought relief to plants, animals land and humans alike.

Lets start with one of the omnipresent aranae commonly known as spider. I have seen huge varieties in kerala but this time I spotted a very different one. It was huge and kind of white powderish in color. The spider is having its home in the leaves of the mangostein tree in our backyard. The picture posted here describes it well.




Nature is constantly inspiring me and one of these days I have started creating fresh flower bowl. All one needs to make this beautiful ensemble which can lift anyone's spirit is a glass bowl or the traditional brass bowls which come in different sizes, this is commonly used across India now a days for flower arrangements. Next go around nature's garden collecting flowers which have fallen down but still fresh or which are about to fall. The latter is advisable only if former method does not yield enough output. Pluck a few tulasi leaves along with the tulasi flower. This adds an enchanting smell to the flower bowl.A few fern leaves adds to the beauty. Fill the bowl to the brim with water, arrange the flowers and we are ready to go. The flower bowl can be set in different moods, subtle colored flowers give a serene touch. Bright colored arrangement exuberates energy and activity.


More to continue as I explore this wonderland ... Well yes I feel like 'Alice in Wonderland'

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey swat..nice blog...but the sad part is i am not able to spot the spider :(...happy writing...

Venkat Ramanan said...

Hey Swathy... good blog... good start!!
How are things?
Cheers
Venkat (ex-Cogni :-))

SK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SK said...

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for the comments, noticed it today only

Take care,
Swathy

SK said...

Hey Shrinivasan,

Thanks for the comment. Well look carefully among the leaves, the spider is there. Nature demands patience :)

By the way since your profile is not visible to public and I know more than one people by your name, I am not able to place which Shrinivasan you are.

Thanks
Swathy